Charity Shop Vintage Finds, Granny Chic, Sewing and Baking with Giddy Aunt Lola

Friday 14 June 2013

Charity Shop Granny Chic


Granny Chic

There is more meaning and creativity to my life when I re-home and re-use quality goods that were made in a different era with different values.  Charity shops are not for everyone, but if you know what to look for and have a creative eye, then you can breathe new life into second-hand objects.  You just need to think outside of the box when you visit a charity shop and look at the potential of the things that are waiting to be found.

For example, people don’t use table linen as much these days and in our throw away culture, if something has a stain it gets recycled or binned.  Previous generations had high quality linen that they laundered and cared for, and this is what I look out for.

These two table cloths are a perfect example of what I mean.  The checked table cloth is huge and of a very good quality linen.   I should get ten high quality tea towels for £2 from this: cut it into rectangles, hem or add some bias binding and Bob's your uncle.  You can keep your pretty but pricey goods Miss Kidston (well, until the sales at any rate), I shall not be paying £6 a pop for your tea towels.


This green table cloth is lovely drapey linen, spotlessly clean and I can see this becoming a sleeveless top. At £2 for almost two metres of quality linen, this makes my heart sing and the sewing pattern I have in mind is a free digital download.  Watch this space.

The moment I saw this china potty, I saw a quirky plant container.  For £4 I have a cheeky little plant pot, once I drill some drainage holes in the bottom.  See, thinking out of the box (taps her nose knowingly).

I love the pretty floral print on this vintage 1980's dress, which was originally from Wallis.  It set me back £6 and I hesitated about buying it because as much as I like it, I really couldn't see myself wearing it unless I was attending a vintage tea party.  However, if I chop off  the flappy bit around the bottom, shorten the sleeves and re-shape the neck line it becomes a tea dress that wouldn't be out of place in Top Shop.  I may just wait for an invite from Miss Marple for tea at the vicarage (my dream date) rather than re-style it .   Listen to me, talking like I actually have the skills to re-style it!


Finally, we have these pretty etched glasses, picked up for £4.  They are the perfect size for a tot of sloe gin or damson vodka and would make a great little Christmas present if accompanied by a bottle of home brewed liqueur.  

So, there you are my dears.  This is my week in charity shopping and perhaps for inspiration you might browse through Granny Chic by dottie angel and ted & agnes.  These ladies have perfected the skill of taking vintage items and making them at home in the modern world. 

Good hunting!  GAL x

PS Oooh, if you wouldn't mind popping over to Dorset Cereals, by clicking  here, and voting for my blog in their Little Blog Awards, I would be super grateful x




SHARE:

12 comments

  1. Lovely ideas! I also voted for your blog, which I enjoy reading very much. Happy Weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Jeanna, you are a lovely girl. You have a great weekend too x

      Delete
  2. Lovely! I love the Gin glasses (but then I would wouldn't I!) HIC!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice to see you here Shiny P. Thanks for visiting x

      Delete
  3. I'm very jealous of that dress! Good thrifting skills my dear x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kat! I adore this dress and I am determined to wear it sometime this summer. x

      Delete
  4. You have some great finds here - especially love the tablecloths, will have to have my own charity shop haul soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you. I love looking having a show and tell with charity shop finds :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post (found you at Sew Many Ways). I found a hideous skirt the other day that would be amazing as cushions covers... Luckily it was floor length and large in size so plenty to go round!!! And we always check out bedding for its potential for fabric projects! xx
    http://buttonsandpaint.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Sim, Lovely to have found you through SMW. I just love the way you can find something in a charity shop and it becomes something new. Will hop over and find your blog. GALx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love a charity shop rummage! I have a particular fancy for tea cups and glasses! Also anything kitchsy. I love the way anything you get second hand has a little history, that we will probably never know. Love the post, found you through Mumsnet Plug your post linky x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emily, pleased to meet you. I truly love the fact that old stuff has history to it. A girl after my own heart with your love of tea cups and glasses. I'll show you mine if you show me yours?! x

      Delete

Hi, thanks for taking the time to comment. GAL x

Blogger Template Created by pipdig